Are you in the market for the best lights for filming video on a budget? According to Online Mindset Coach, Aaron Jarrels lighting is an important part of filming video. To make your videos look all more exciting and appealing, lighting can play a pivotal role. Whether you want to light for YouTube video, streaming, or professional purposes, there is a wide range of options in the market. You need to understand that there is a huge difference between how your eyes perceive light and how the camera lens sees it. Therefore, the best option is to use lights, especially when it comes to making a video.
Here is a detailed list of the best lights for filming video, along with their prices, features, pros, and cons.
As an Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I have attached links to products, some are affiliate links.
Best Lights for Filming Video Type 1: Ring Lights
When it comes to lights for videos, ring lights are the best and the most versatile option. Generally, ring lights are used in beauty and fashion videos. If you want the subject of your video to light, perfectly ring lights are perfect, especially if you want lighting for filming YouTube videos.
The best ring lights for filming videos are:
1. JINSE 8” Dimmable Desktop Selfie Ring Light (Micro-Budget less than $20):
There are several reasons why we have included the JINSE 8” Dimmable Desktop Selfie Ring Light in the list of best lights for filming video. This is the best option for those with a budget of less than $20 and looking for good portable lights. It is cheap lighting and a great ring light. It also comes with two tripods, it is everything you need to get started on a tight budget.
- Its price is only $17.
- 8-inch size and can pack away for easy storage and transport.
- Comes with a USB power cord for easy use (at least 5V/2A), power bank, notebooks, computer, etc.
- Offers an adjustable light brightness feature, with 10 levels.
- In addition, it has three color modes (white, warm yellow, and warm white)
Grab a JINSE 8” Dimmable Desktop Selfie Ring Light from your favorite retailers:
- You can easily carry it anywhere.
- It cannot be used for professional purposes.
- It works only up close
- Needs separate power supply (not included)
2. ESDDI PLV-R120 10-inch Ring Light (Small Budget under $50):
For those who cannot afford expensive ring lights, ESDDI is the best alternative. These affordable table lights are tailor-made for the tabletop. They are some of the best lights for filming video on a budget. Moreover, researches show that it is much more powerful than the 10-inch similar model or Neewer. Moreover, it is best for vlogging and smartphone users.
- Its price is $29.99. Shop on Amazon HERE or eBay HERE
- Comes in three different color temperatures, including 3000K, 4000K, and 5600K.
- It is powered using a USB cable
- Its dimensions are 260 x 390mm.
Compare prices for a ESDDI PLV-R120 10-inch Ring Light from your favorite retailers:
- Easy to operate
- Has two-way phone grip
- Comes with a tripod stand
- Comes with a wireless remote control
- Adjustable 360 degrees
- Must have a separate USB power supply (not included).
- Has only enough light for filming one person.
- Is only 10W
3. Flashpoint Photo/Video 19 AC Powered 55W Dimmable LED Ring Light (Medium Budget under $100):
If you are looking for something under $100, go with the Flashpoint Photo/Video option. It is one of the best options out there in the market for shooting beauty videos. With its adjustable dimmer help, you can easily vary its light intensity to get good results. You may want to add a tripod stand (sold separately, or use your own) with the light, to make it easier to film video.
- Its price is $99.
- Offers a 19 inch of soft continuous LED light
- The color temperature of 5500K
- Has a variable intensity from 10-100%
Buy now a Flashpoint Photo/Video 19 AC Powered 55W Dimmable LED Ring Light from your favorite retailers:
- Lightweight and portable
- Is LED
- May also comes with optional tungsten and diffuser panel clips.
- Has low heat output
- Requires separate power supply USB (not included).
- Does not come with stand (sold separately).
4. Westcott 18 Bi-Color LED Ring Light (Large Budget under $250):
The best 18 inch ring light. Westcott being the best lighting company, doesn’t need an introduction to the lighting industry. It offers a high degree of color accuracy and comes with two batteries. Therefore, you can easily take it for an outside shot as well. The biggest plus of Westcott 18 Bi-Color is that it provides a hassle-free set-up. Due to its CRI of up to 97, Westcott can easily replicate perfect skin color.
Check out why the Westcott 18 Bi-Color LED Ring Light is one of the best lights for filming video.
- Its price is $199.
- Comes with two NP-F750 batteries or an Ac adapter
- Has an adjustable temperature range between 3200-5600K
Scan for a Westcott 18 Bi-Color LED Ring Light from your favorite retailers:
- Not only it has a lightweight design but also includes a 6.5-foot stand.
- Has also a carry case to transport it easily
- Only lasts about 30 mins on battery power per battery.
- On the stand at the lowest position it is 21″ from table top to bottom of light (best suited for use from floor).
5. Rotolight Neo 2 LED Camera Light and Barn Doors Bundle (Unlimited Budget above $250):
Lastly, in this category, we have Rotolight Neo 2 LED Camera Light and Barn Doors Bundle, a professional ring light for those with an unlimited budget. (Light sold separately here if desired Rotolight Neo 2). It’s a ring-shaped light but is not true in a donut-shape, unlike other ring lights. At a distance of 3 feet, it delivers a powerful whopping 1840-2000 lux.
The bundle includes the NEO 2 LED light and Barn Doors, as well as, 4-piece filter kit (Full and half diffusion, cosmetic peach skin diffusion, and magenta), belt pouch, and power supply unit. making it one of the best lights for filming video.
The NEO 2 is a powerful continuous adjustable color LED light. As well as a high-speed sync (HSS) flash (1/8000th) designed for portrait photography, location use with your DSLR, Mirrorless, or Video Camera.
- Its price is $429.
- Its color temperature ranges between 3150-6300K.
- Comes with 6x AA batteries and an AC adapter
- Weighs only 354g (3.74 pounds).
Cart a Rotolight Neo 2 LED Camera Light and Barn Doors Bundle from your favorite retailers:
- Has a bicolor lightening
- Offers a temperature adjustment option
- Comes in a powerful HSS flash mode
- It is not a true ring light (due to no center hole).
Best Lights for Filming Video Type 2: Box Lights
Box lights are one of the most useful options for a serious videographer, photographer, and YouTubers. The best way to overcome the challenge of natural light is by using a box light. They can help you to direct light to the desired spot without heavy shadows.
Box lights are easily some of the best options for the best lights for filming video:
1. LimoStudio 700W Softbox Lighting Kit (Small Budget under $50):
LimoStudio 700W Softbox Lighting Kit is the best friend of those with a small budget to buy a box light. It is easy and portable to carry without any difficult set-up process. Besides, you can also adjust softbox dimensions, and it doesn’t angle down very much. Although it has two fluorescent bulbs if you want, you can buy one only. However, for extra brightness and flexibility, the combination of the two is best.
- Its price is $46.
- Weighs just under 6 pounds (5.89 lbs)
- Comes with a durable 30-inch fabric carry bag
- Has removable softening diffuser
Grab a LimoStudio 700W Softbox Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Portable lightening kit
- Easy set-up
- Fewer light options
- Has a lightweight (flimsy) stand
2. Neewer 700W 24-inch Softbox Lighting Kit (Medium Budget under $100):
If you don’t have any money to spend on a box lighting solution but still want to improve your studio photography Neewer 700W softbox lighting kit is for you. This outstanding lighting kit comes in a wide range of kits like octagonal, rectangular, and square lamp options. Besides, it also has LED vibrant. For general photography, it is best to choose square lights.
- Its price is $70.
- Dual lighting system (2)24″X24″/60x60cm Softbox.
- Comes with two 85W 5500K CFL bulbs.
- Removable external diffusers
- (2)88″/224cm Light Stand
Go for a Neewer 700W 24-inch Softbox Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Range of kit options including rectangular, square, and octagonal lamp
- Bulbs on getting much hot
- Has two adjustable stands
- Extra-long cords help you move them freely to position it for the best lighting effects
- Stand spigot is 1/4″ (will need an adapter to convert to 3/8″)
- Maximum height:88″/224cm
3. StudioFX 2400W Large Softbox Lighting Kit (Large Budget under $250):
StudioFX is an option for a larger budget for those who can afford lighting that runs over $100. A great choice for serious people. It comes with three large lighting systems including an overhead boom mount. It uses fluorescent bulbs and comes with a convenient carry bag.
- Its price is $149.
- Comes with a three-piece lighting system
- A storage bag to store and carry anywhere
- Has eleven 45W CFL bulbs
Use these links for a StudioFX 2400W Large Softbox Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Has two adjustable stands that go up to seven feet high
- Feel free to change the length of the boom from 31 to 71 according you’re your demand.
- Has individual switches for each light bulb.
- Very portable.
- The stands can be a little flimsy when fully extended.
- Doesn’t come with any sandbag balancing weights.
4. Fovitec Studio PRO Softbox Lighting Kit (Unlimited Budget above $250):
Favoitec StudioPRO Softbox lighting has everything that you need. It comes in different light variants; however, it is better to choose the maximum capacity for the best results. It includes three adjustable stands, three softboxes, and three lamp heads having five bulb sockets each.
- Its price is $190.
- Comes with three adjustable light stands
- Has eleven 45W CFL bulbs
- Comes with 10 ft power cord with a 3 prong plug
- Comes with 5 amp fuse that can be easily replaced
- Compact Design
- Convenient Carrying Bag
Score a Fovitec Studio PRO Softbox Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Has three-lighting variants
- Medium duty stands
- Adjustable boom with a counterbalancing sandbag.
- Bulbs must be changed to switch lighting color.
Best Lights for Filming Video Type 3: Umbrella Lights
The third types of lights we have are the umbrella lights. For beginner videographers, they will absolutely love umbrella lights. It can provide them a much bigger light source and are perfect to use for lighting the entire scene. Moreover, they are portable and can be easily carried for the outside shoot, making them some of the best lights for filming video.
Let’s have a look at the best Umbrella Lights for filming video:
1. LINCO Photography & Videography Continuous Umbrella Lighting Kit (Small Budget under $50):
Its white and transparent umbrellas are best as a reflector to the light source than a shoot-through umbrella. However, remember that some object needs less lighting. The biggest benefit of softening the light using a reflecting umbrella is that it can save a lot of time in the post-processing stage. All of its lights options are AC powered.
- Its price is $48.
- Uses compact fluorescent bulbs
- Comes with a color temperature of 5500K.
Get a LINCO Photography & Videography Continuous Umbrella Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Has extremely low price
- Very light in weight
- Comes with two umbrellas (reflectors)
- Very versatile kit
- Low light output, due to only one bulb per stand.
- Only has two umbrellas and three lights and stands.
2. LimoStudio 600W Umbrella Photography/Video Kit (Medium Budget under $100):
LimoStudio 600W Umbrella Kit is an excellent choice not only for beginners but also for professional users. This kit has everything from lamps to umbrellas and a tall and a short stand. Moreover, it even has a bulb. It is always better to use a CFL lamp that comes with a kit. This kit is especially good for YouTubers and other photographers.
- Its price is $56.
- Has three lamps, two stands, and two white umbrellas
- Has translucent white umbrellas (diffusers/reflectors)
Price shop the LimoStudio 600W Umbrella Photography/Video Kit from your favorite retailers:
- The bulb doesn’t get heat even after continuously burning for hours.
- The lamp can tilt up and down.
- Has lightweight stands thus you can move it easily
- It is best only for home or office use and is not preferable to take it out on a field trip.
3. Andoer Photo Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit (Large Budget under $250):
Another excellent option for a larger budget range is Andoer Photo Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit. It comes with two white umbrellas and one that is a black/gold umbrella. The kit also includes a 10×6.6ft backdrop stand with chromakey muslin collapsible backgrounds (green, white, black). Easy setup and suitable for any product, portrait, costume, and large object photography.
- Its price is $104.
- Comes with 2 white umbrellas, 1 black/gold umbrella, bulbs, and a swivel socket
- Has a collapsible light stands
- Backdrop with three backdrops (10’x10′) (black, white, green)
Grab an Andoer Photo Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- The stands are made of aluminum alloy.
- Comes with an adjustable shaft
- Best for heavy-duty works and can ensure the safety of lighting equipment.
- The backdrops cannot be machine washed.
- While portable, the kit is quite heavy for one person.
Best Lights for Filming Video Type 4: LED Video Lights
Cinematographers absolutely love LED video light. Moreover, there are tons of options in the market, so get ready for our best picks of the best lights for filming video on a budget.
The lists of best-LED lights for filming video are:
1. Newer 176 LED Panel (Small Budget under $50):
The Newer 176 LED Panel is the best option under $50 with professional studio quality. This tidy yet powerful light can easily mount on a tripod stand, thus giving you a burst of brightness. Therefore, it can work perfectly well to fill light for a quick-and-dirty video light.
- Its price is $31.
- Comes with a color temperature of 5600K
- Requires a DC battery (Consider this one as a bundle: Neewer NP-F550 Battery Charger Set)
Acquire a Newer 176 LED Panel from your favorite retailers:
- Very cheap and is extremely affordable
- Has a bright and powerful light
- Comes with a fixed color temperature
- LED Light can be powered via DC power or Sony NP- F550/750/970 battery (both not included).
2. LituFoto R18 Mini Pocket RGB LED Video Light Panel Fill Light (Medium Budget under $100):
Comes in packing 198 LEDs and has a bicolor temperature with a wide range from 3200-5600K. Moreover, you can also convert its 10W power output to 13W. Besides, it also comes with Rotolight’s special effects lighting. With its meaty 404mAh battery, it can work perfectly fine for an hour and a half. It is a brilliant all-rounder.
- Its price is $99.
- Color temperatures range between 3200-5600K
- Weighs only 205g
Buy a LituFoto R18 Mini Pocket RGB LED Video Light Panel Fill Light from your favorite retailers:
- Has a compact design
- Comes with a bicolor light with effects
- Doubles as a power bank
- Is only battery powered.
3. Lume Cube 2.0 Professional Lighting Kit (Large Budget under $250):
Never think Lume Cube is small because it is tough and good at what it does. It comes with a metal shell and feels very solid. Moreover, up to 30m, it is waterproof. You can also control it via Bluetooth with your phone.
- Its price is $225.
- Has a color temperature of 6000K
- Comes with a Lithium-ion power source
- Weighs only 1.56 lbs
- Includes zipper carry case, 2 lights, and EVERY gel & diffuser from Lume Cube
Find a Lume Cube 2.0 Professional Lighting Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Comes with a Bluetooth connectivity
- Has a narrow beam angle
- Has a compact and rugged design
- For a smartphone clip, you will need to pay extra.
4. Aputure Light Storm 1S (Unlimited Budget above $250):
The highlighting feature of Aputure Light Storm comes with a whopping 1,536 LEDs, and thus it can last up to 100,000 hours of constant illumination. However, its panel is a little on the heavier side, but at the same time, it feels robust and tough. Besides, it is much more affordable than professional lights.
- Its price is $695.
- Has a color temperature range from 3200-5500K
- Comes with V-mount batteries
- Weighs only 11.58 lbs
Browse for an Aputure Light Storm 1S from your favorite retailers:
- Has a robust and a long-lasting durability
- Is super-bright
- The frame can get hot.
Best Lights for Filming Video Type 5: Professional Lights
This option is for professional people who do not do videography as a side hobby; instead, they take it seriously and want to do it professionally. While this is not an exhaustive list of the best lights for filming video, it has a good range across budget levels.
Best lights in the category of professional lights for film making are:
1. LimoStudio, LMS 103, Soft Lighting Umbrella Kit (Small Budget under $50):
Professional users always look for something that can make even the simplest videos exciting and interesting. LimoStudio is not only affordable and in the price range of almost everyone, but at the same time, it shows some of the best results.
- Its price is $33
- Comes with a 29.8 inch light stand
- Has a 45W photo CFL bulb with a 600K/ 1820 Lumen
Check out the LimoStudio, LMS 103, Soft Lighting Umbrella Kit from your favorite retailers:
- Offers a photo equipment carry bag
- Has a flash or a lighting fixture
- May lack some features, unlike expensive and high-end professional lights.
2. Dracast DRP-LED 160-AD Pro Daylight (Medium Budget under $100):
Dracast DRP – LED 160-AD Pro Daylight is available with a variant color temperature range from 3200 to 5600K. It comes with an aluminum case with 6 x 4-inch dimensions. It included an A/C adapter and a 95 CRI.
- Its price is $95
- Has a high color rendering Index
- Comes with a 45 degrees focus setting
Get a Dracast DRP-LED 160-AD Pro Daylight from your favorite retailers:
- Easy to use
- Perfect for people of all skill levels
- Compact and tough design
- DC input and can use only Sony style batteries.
3. Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 On-Camera Led Light with Built-in Bluetooth Black, Compact (Large Budget under $250):
Another excellent option we have in this situation is Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 LED Light. You can easily attach this tiny light to the hotshoe mount on your camera. Moreover, it can also be controlled using Bluetooth. Having eight LED lights with 550 LUX, it is a great choice for vlogs and video photography.
- Its price is $112
- Has a color temperature range up to 5600K
- Comes with a rechargeable L-type li-ion
- Weighs only 160g
- 8 x LEDs
- Four-step Dimming
- Internal LiPo battery
- Built-in Bluetooth for iOS devices
- Tungsten and diffusion Filters included
Have a Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 On-Camera Led Light with Built-in Bluetooth Black, Compact delivered from your favorite retailers:
- Easy to transport due to its small and portable weight
- Comes with a remote control option via Bluetooth
- Has additional creative filters
- It had a limited output when you used it outdoors.
4. Westcott Ice Light 2 (Unlimited Budget above $250):
Looking for professional lighting and has an unlimited budget, the Ice Light 2 is perfect for you. Whether you are shooting a scene manually or shooting a tracking, shot Westcott Ice Light 2 can make your videos look all more natural and perfect. Moreover, its new version has 50 percent more brightness. Besides, it has a lithium power removable battery.
- Its price is $379
- Has a color temperature of 5500K
- Comes with an out of 522 LUX
- Has a removable lithium-ion battery
Find your Westcott Ice Light 2 at your favorite retailers:
- Can switch out batteries for extended use (not included)
- Comes with a versatile clip system to attach gels
- Has an ergonomic one-handed use
- Is priced high for light output.
- Comes with only one battery.
Are you interested in Learning to Make Money Blogging?
Other Articles You May Like
Lights can change the overall look and the output of your video. In this article, we have explained some of the best lights for filming video based on their types. You can choose any option that best suits your needs and budget. If you are interested in learning about lighting techniques read our article: Best Lighting Techniques for Shooting Video.
SIGN UP NOW AND RECEIVE BONUS DOWNLOADS
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT
We value your privacy and time, we promise not to sell, share, or use your email to send any junk. We only send monthly emails when we have valuable info, content, freebies, and usable downloads for you. That's a promise. - Broken Moon Media